BGMA to Strike University Today

By Paul J. Corkery

Harvard's 265 member Buildings and Grounds Maintenance Association is scheduled to strike the University today.

The union's officers notified the membership over the weekend to report this morning for picket duty. According to BGMA officers, the strike was called because of Harvard's "refusal to bargain with the BGMA's [collective bargaining] representatives, the Boston Crafts Maintenance Council (AFL-CIO)."

Affected by the strike call are all the carpenters, plumbers, electricians, machinists, groundskeepers, truck drivers and other skilled men employed by Building and Grounds. Janitors, maids, building superintendents, and Radcliffe's employees will not be affected.

Since the strike is being backed by an AFL-CIO affiliate, the University's cooks and serving ladies, all of whom are AFL-CIO members, normally would respect the picket lines. However, because most of the dining halls are closing tomorrow, the BGMA does not expect the kitchen personnel to respect the picket lines.

Teamster Support Expected

Teamsters usually respect picket lines, and the BGMA expects all deliveries to the University to end. Furthermore, much of the construction work being done by outside contractors is expected to stop.

The success of the strike ultimately will depend on how many BGMA workers decide not to work. The Union has no strike funds and some members are reportedly disturbed at the idea of using Commencement as leverage.

BGMA men normally set up all the chairs and equipment in Tercentenary Theater for Commencement, and union leaders hope that the strike will stop this work and thus increase the strength of their argument. Some University officials said last night, however, that they foresaw no interruption in Commencement plans.

One BGMA member said he felt it "unfair" to disrupt a ceremony honoring students in order to press BGMA's grievances.