Cliffe Institute To Train Maids

The Radcliffe Institute has proposed an apprentice program for Southern Negro girls working as domestic employees in Boston.

The goal of the program is to raise the professional standards of the workers. Fifteen girls at a time would be trained in the homes of scholars associated with the Institute. This on-the-spot education would be combined with skill courses at the Women's Service Club.

"Trouble often comes from the assumption that any woman knows how to cook, care for children, and clean a house," said Mrs. Dorothy Parrish, director of the Immigrant Program of the Women's Service Club. A recent survey shows that many girls whom employment agencies lure up north with promises of high wages and an easy life have never seen a vacuum cleaner before.

Federal funds are expected soon for the Radcliffe Institute's program. The Institute was established by the trustees of Radcliffe College in 1960 to help talented women who want to do professional work without disrupting their family life.

Recommended Articles

Education Along Gender Lines
You may remember the saga of Shannon Faulkner, the woman who successfully fought in the courts for admission to the
GIRLS AND CLUBS
To the Editors of the CRIMSON: It was extremely disappointing to read that Radcliffe membership in Harvard organizations had been
Radcliffe Links Family to Religious Interests
The Radcliffe girl is a slightly more religious creature than the Harvard man. Popular opinion usually regards the female as
Cliffies Decry Rent Rise; Apartment Program Starts
President Bunting said Tuesday at a Radcliffe Government Association meeting that the new room and board rates will not affect
'Cliffies Elected to Yearbook Positions
Two Radcliffe girls have been elected to full membership on the staff of Harvard Yearbook Publications, the organization announced yesterday.
Radcliffe To Host More Scientists as Fellows Next Fall
More scientists than ever before will come to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study as fellows next fall, the result