Atlanta Mayor Says Carmichael Hurts Civil Rights in the South

Ivan Allen, mayor of Atlanta, told an audience at the Harvard Business School last night that Stokely Carmichael is jeopardizing the Civil Rights movement in the South.

Allen spoke at the 39th Annual Harvard Summer School Conference on Educational Administration attended by some 400 superintendants and school board members from 37 states.

"There is greater antagonism between the races today than at any time during the great Civil Rights crusade," the mayor said. Many southerners who had embraced moderate groups like Martin Luther Kings Southern Christian Leadership Conference, he explained, were turned off by the "revolutionaries" like Carmichael who operated "outside the pale of the law."

Supported Rights Bill

Allen, a supporter of the 1964 civil rights bill, said that the race problem can only be solved by massive federal programs in education housing, and employment to improve the condition of the Negro. He twice lamented that programs of necessary scope are impossible until the Vietnam war is ended.

The largely northern liberal audience responded warmly to the largely liberal southernor. A member of the audience requested Allen if he could not be persuaded to run for mayor of Boston.

He replied, "I'm probably running better in Boston than in Atlanta."