Edward H. Chamberlin Raymond Calkins

With the deaths of Edward H. Chamberlin and Raymond Calkins Sunday, Harvard lost two of its longest-serving and most devoted teachers, men who, despite their own deep scholarly pursuits, were unstintingly generous with their time, their knowledge, and their warmth.

Professor Chamberlin was more than an originalthinking economist. He was a man who could make foreign students feel at home in Cambridge and Harvard students feel at home in economics. Though he had firm economic and political convictions, he never angered when his students sought to contradict his novel theories. He taught the mintellectual openmindedness by treating their ideas with a respect and careful scrutiny which they never forgot. From his tutorials and seminars emerged many prominent economists and professors.

Dr. Calkins spoke to the young both from the pulpit and the podium. He was impressive not for any evangelistic fervor, but for his high cultivation, his keen tongue, and the obvious personal interest he took in everyone he knew. Those he addressed as youths carried with the mas men, his spiritual and deeply learned insights.

Both men showed that thoughtfulness, charm, and humor do not hurt, but enhance, scholarship. Harvard is much richer for their examples.