Harvard Heavyweight Crew Wins Pan-American Trial

Harvard's heavyweight crew had to wait three years, but Saturday was the day. The heaviest Crimson heavyweights in history--and one of the youngest--defeated the Vesper Boat Club by two lengths to win the Pan American Trials at Orchard Beach Lagoon.

It was Vesper which upset Harvard in the 1964 Olympic Trials. But Saturday, the Harvard crew--with only one senior --methodically whipped some of the same "old men" who had made the summer of 1964 so miserable.

At the start of the race, however, the outcome was by no means certain. Vesper jumped to a quick lead, and Harvard's shaky rowers were just even with Penn, a crew twice defeated by the Crimson earlier this year. But by the 500-meter mark, Harvard had settled down to a smooth and surprisingly low pace of 35-36, and was gaining ground fast. At 1000 meters, it was half a length ahead of Vesper, a full length ahead of Penn, and still pulling away.

Harvard completed the 2000-meter race in 6:14.5, well ahead of Vesper which edged Penn at 6:21.7. Vesper's second boat, consisting of a recently gathered group of collegiate all-stars, placed well back at 6:32.6.