Registration Begins Today At Mem Hall

By Gerald M. Rosberg

About 5000 students will file through Memorial Hall today to register for the 92nd session of the Harvard Summer School, the oldest summer education program in the United States.

In spite of a cutback--from 4800 to 3500--in the number of non-Harvard Radcliffe students accepted this year, Thomas E. Crooks, director of the Summer School, expects that the percentage of students from other schools will actually increase.

In previous years summer school officials have assumed that a large number--often as much as 30 per cent--of those accepted would not enroll, so they have accepted more students than they could handle. "If everyone had come last year we would have been swamped," Crooks said yesterday.

To head off another sharp drop on registration day this year, the Summer School imposed a $5 application fee in the hope of discouraging all but the most serious applicants, but officials won't know for a few days what percentage of those accepted have decided to enroll.

1300 Winties Expected

Officials are also uncertain about the number of Harvard and Radcliffe students that will register today. Unlike students from other schools. Cliffies and Harvard students are not required to file an application, but only to preregister in early May. There were several hundred more preregistrations this year than in the past, but Crooks expected that the number actually enrolling will be about the same as last year's 1300.

The fees for this summer session have increased slightly over last summer. Tuition is up $15 for each course, and room and board have also jumped by $10. But even with this increase, Crooks says, the tution is still lower at Harvard than at any comparable school.

If past percentages are an indication, about two out of every three summer school students will receive nothing but honor grades (A's and B's). This is a much higher percentage than Harvard and Radcliffe students manage during the regular academic year.