City and Harvard Attack Traffic, Parking Problems

Parking

Harvard is taking a number of steps to increase the amount of parking spaces available to the University.

The pressure for more parking areas comes primarily from commuting faculty members who have great difficulty finding a place to park in the Square. To add to the problem, the Law School is about to begin construction on two new buildings which will partially occupy space now devoted to parking.

The University is establishing a temporary parking lot at the corner of Oxford St. and Hammond St. to handle the Law School problem.

For a more permanent solution, the University has decided to commission the architectural firm of Sert, Jackson and Associates to plan a parking building which will be situated at Everett St. and Massachusetts Avenue. After the first stage of construction is completed, the building should hold 400 cars. When the second stage is completed, it will have a total capacity of about 600 cars.

Harvard regards the Hammond St. site as a potential location for a new building, and when the work begins several years from now, the cars in the Hammond lot will probably be accommodated in the parking structure at Everett St. and Mass. Ave.