Gregory Delays Football Season

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

Simple calendrical progression, not sinister plots by John Yovicsin or Yale serving ladies, is the cause of the football season's late start this fall. An Ivy League regulation designates the last Saturday in September as opening day.

Two years ago that meant September 25, last year September 24. Following this regular route, Saturday falls on the 23rd this year, but meanwhile another Saturday has come in the back door and landed on the 30th.

While this explanation is simple enough (until you throw in leap years and such), the ramifications are manifold. Foremost is the delay of the Yale weekend to Thanksgiving vacation. This situation has arisen before: the last time by the calendar was 1961, then more recently in 1963 when the assassination of President Kennedy occasioned a postponement.

Extra Practice

For the football players, who reported as usual on September 1, the delay means an extra week of practice. No outside scrimmages could be added, because of another Ivy regulation.

While the Crimson may as a result be in better than average shape going into its opener, it will be behind its first two, non-Ivy, opponents in game experience. Lafayette, Harvard's foe this Saturday, opened its season two days ago (with a 28-0 loss to Hofstra).

More dangerous Boston University, instead of delaying its schedule, advanced it. The Terriers, who will be the Crimson's second guest in the Stadium, already have two victories under their belt.