Doctors Tell Freshman Cliffies Mental Dangers of Heavy Pot Use

By Diana L. Ordin

Three Harvard psychiatrists told Radcliffe freshman this week that "a single experimental joint" of marijuana may not be "serious," but that repeated use often reflects serious psychological problems.

In three mandatory meetings for Radcliffe freshmen initiated by the House presidents and closed to all non-students, Drs. Preston K. Munter, Paul A. Walters, and Graham B. Blaine acknowledged that many healthy people do smoke pot occasionally as an "experiment" or "for fun," and that for most of these people it is "not serious" physically or mentally.

But they also insisted that extensive use indicates a real problem, and that those who "need a joint every night before they go to bed, take it when they are by themselves, or believe there is some sort of magic in a joint which will somehow change their personality" need professional help.

The doctors also emphasized the danger of "not really knowing what you're smoking," and possible punishment for those who get caught.

Horse Manure or DMT

"You could be smoking anything from horse manure to pot laced with DMT (a sustance similar in effect to LSD)" Blaine told his East House audience yesterday.

"The pot made from the pollen of the cannabis plant is fifty times more powerful than pot made from the stem," said Walters at the South House meeting on Thursday. "The pot around Harvard now," Munter told East House on Wednesday, "is from the top of the plant, and is stronger that what was around last year, which was made primarily from the stems."

Blaine estimated that 20% of the Harvard community has smoked marijuana.

Cambridge police have given the University primary jurisdiction over students violating narcotics laws, Munter pointed out. According to Harvard policy if a student is caught once by an administrative officer, he is liable to be put on probation; if caught twice he is liable to have his connection with the College severed (with the possibility of returning); if caught pushing he is liable to be expelled.

Each doctor emphasized that the Health Center takes no part in the Administration's enforcement, and that any consultation with UHS doctors is confidential.

Besides marijuana, discussion also cen- tered upon LSD, narcotics, sedatives and hypnotics, energizers, tranquillizers, and non-regulated medications such as Nodoz, Ropertussin (a cough medicine which supposedly produces a "high"), and non-prescription sleeping pills.

Although many freshman objected to the idea of a mandatory meeting, most thought the discussions were interesting and relevant.

"If it hadn't been required," said a Barnard freshman, "The people who needed it probably wouldn't have come."

"People came dragging their feet," said another, "but once discussion began, everyone was interested."GRAHAM BLAINE 20 per cent have smoked