Harvard Skiers Are Invited to Olympic Tryouts

By Robin Barnes

Harvard captain John Mitchell and Steve Hinkles have been invited to tryouts for the 1968 Olympic cross-country ski team.

The Harvard skiers were among 20 Easterners in a national field of 54. Mitchell and Hinkle were chosen on the basis of their performances in two cross-country meets held earlier in the season at Lyndonville, Vt. (Dec. 30-31) and Putney, Vt. (Jan. 4).

The Olympic trials consist of three races. The first, a 15-kilometer race, was held yesterday in sub-zero weather at Putney. Another race over a 30-kilometer course is scheduled for tomorrow. The final race will be held next week at Lake Placid, N.Y.

Competing against the top cross-country skiers in the country, Hinkle placed 39th and Mitchell, 46th in yesterday's race. Mike Gallagher of Killington, Vt. posted the winning time of 51 min. 27 sec. Hinkle and Mitchell were respectively 10 min. 17 sec. and 12 min. 29 sec. behind.

After three races, the top five or six cross-country skiers will represent the U.S. at Grenoble in Feb.

In other Harvard ski action, a nordic team may go to the Hanover (N.H.) Invitational cross-country relays this weekend. Several members of the Harvard alpine team, out practicing on the slopes last night, will race in the Corcoran Cup, a giant slalom race at Waterville Valley this weekend.