Varsity Hockey Team Rolls Over Brown, 8-3

LEADS LEAGUE

By Robert P. Marshall jr, Special to the CRIMSON

PROVIDENCE, R.I., Jan. 10--Harvard hockey bounced back behind Bill Diercks and Kent Parrot here tonight and scored a resounding 8-3 victory over Brown. Bobby Bauer and Terry Flaman added two goals apiece on top of Parrot's pair as the Crimson moved into the Ivy lead, with a 4-1 league mark.

Not only did Harvard rebound from its recent bad showings, but it came on after giving the Bruins an opening minute goal. Diercks, who had ridden the bench in Harvard's last three games, saw Bob Devaney light Brown's light after 33 seconds of play.

The junior goalie had no chance on the 10-foot backhander when a Crimson defenseman couldn't clear a hard carom off the boards. But the goal was reminiscent of Dierck's last three games, when the opposition also scored on its first shot on the way to a total of 22 goals.

Tonight Diercks weathered some shaky opening moments and was strong thereafter, ending up with 29 saves and clearing pucks from the goal mouth with consistent aplomb.

Harvard's edge in the first period was Parrot. At 5:13 he and Pete Mueller forechecked a Brown defenseman into the boards. Parrot picked up the puck, skated behind the cage, and finding no one to pass to, pushed the puck past goalie Mark Burns himself.

Sophomore defenseman Flaman gave Harvard the lead at 10:35 with a 55-foot shot from straight on. Then Parrot reproduced the kind of play that made him New England's sophomore of the year two years ago. He flew down ice alone, snuck the puck between the defenseman's legs, then skidded it under Burns for a 3-1 lead at 17:28.

Bauer and Brown's Rick McLaughlin traded goals in a dull, indecisive second period that gave no hint of what was to come.

Diercks came up with three quick saves in a first minute flurry as Harvard finished killing a penalty to Chris Gurry. Then at 5:15 Flaman was sent off the ice for five minutes on a high-sticking major penalty. According to the sophomore defenseman. Brown's Wayne Small accidentally skated into the end of Flaman's stick three times in rapid succession. Small's acting helped referee Giles Threadgold interpret the situation and Harvard found itself with five minutes to kill.

Brown's sloppy play and disorganization was especially apparent during the penalty, and Diercks wasn't challenged until only 20 seconds remained. At that point he ended a goal mouth flareup by grabbing the puck as well as forward Bill McSween's leg and the end was in sight.

Flaman lovingly patted penalty killers Don Grimble and Chip Otness on the head when he reached his own bench, and the accolade was well deserved.

Harvard showed the Bruins what to do with a man advantage when Bauer set himself up via Jack Garrity, 20 seconds after a Brown penalty at 13:15. Sophomore center Jack Turco upped the count to 6-2 at 16:30 with a well-placed 25-footer.

With the game decided, the tempers that had been bubbling under all night surfaced. After three penalties gave Harvard another man advantage. Flaman flipped in a pass from Otness on a breakaway. Six seconds later, at 18:09. Otness converted another two-on-one breakaway, with Grimble setting up the play this time.

The scattered applause had hardly subsided when both Grimble and Otness were sent off of the ice for interference. Flaman, the third man in Harvard's penalty box, disapproved of Threadgold's call and had a meaningless 10-minute misconduct added to his sentence.

It was symbolic of Brown's ineptitude that with a two-man advantage, it could score its final goal only by bouncing the puck off the skate of Crimson foreward Bob Fredo.