Wrestling Team Beats M.I.T., 22-19, On Victories by Chatterton, Freedman

By Glenn A. Padnick

The Harvard wrestling team pulled out a narrow 22-19 victory over M.I.T. last night, in a meet marked by agonizing injuries.

Wrestling in the IAB, the two teams traded decisions through the 167-pound class, until a pair of consecutive victories by Howie Chatterton (177) and Howie Freedman (191) wrapped it up for the Crimson. Chatterton, frustrated in his attempts to pin Joel Mosher, settled for a 20-3 decision.

Freedman's win, a pin over Jeff Cove with 14 seconds left in the match, preceded a first-period pin by M.I.T.'s undefeated heavyweight Fred Andree over Bob Panoff to bring the final score close.

Before Chatterton's match, Harvard and M.I.T. had alternated victories, beginning with captain Andy Kopecki's (115) 10-6 decision over Joe Baron.

Ouch

Included among the trade-off victories were two consecutive forfeited bouts, one to each school. At 137, Harvard's Bruce Goodman suffered a dislocated elbow in the third period of his match with Jack Wu. But the five points M.I.T. received for that match had hardly been tallied on the score board when M.I.T.'s Jack Maxham, at 145, dislocated his knee. It meant a first-period forfeit victory to Harvard's Jeff Seder, and a matching five points for the Crimson in the team score.

Those were the most serious injuries in the meet. In addition, Kopecki's match was stopped several times to stanch his bleeding nose (and he had entered the match with a hunk of padding over some stiches on his right cheek).

Naylor Wins

Danny Naylor, making his dual meet debut for the season at 130, was also slowed by injury. Naylor, wrestling brilliantly at the beginning against Gregg Erickson, built up a big lead, then lost two penalty points for stalling near the end for a 11-5 decision.

In other matches, Paul Padlak (160) beat Richard Willoughby, 15-3, and John Moss (123), John Eng (152), and Bill Zinn (167) all suffered decision defeats.

The freshmen beat M.I.T. earlier in the evening, 29-14.