Radcliffe Elects RUS Executives In 45% Turnout

Radcliffe students have elected the first officers of the Radcliffe Union of Students.

The new executives are: President--Deborah A. Batts '69; Vice-President/treasurer--Mary J. Goethals '69; Secretary/Nominating Chairman--Susan A. Denker '70; NSA Representatives--Ann V. Bastian '70 and Ellen Messer '70; College Council Representatives--Judith E. Smith '70 and Sandra C. Walker '70.

Five hundred fifty-four votes were cast--about 45 per cent of the student body--in the two-day election, Aida Chang '68, RGA Nominating Committee Chairman and coordinator of the elections, said last night. She added that the voting for NSA representatives and College Council Representatives was "extremely close."

The new RUS officers and the old RGA executive committee will hold a closed joint meeting after exams to discuss the drafting of a new RUS constitution. The College Council rejected the constitution in its present form because of certain "internal inconsistencies." Under the RGA constitution, any amendment or change in the constitution must be ratified by the College Council.

The joint meeting will also work out the electoral procedure for electing the RUS legislature of approximately 25 members--one for every 75 Radcliffe students.

In early February the RUS officers are expected to meet with Mary I. Bunting, president of Radcliffe, and the Trustees.