Colburn May Run With Thinclads In BAA Invitatonal Track Meet

By Mark R. Rasmuson

Sophomore Keith Colburn, the finest middle-distance runner in Harvard history, will probably make his season debut tomorrow night in the Boston Athletic Association's annual indoor invitational meet in the Garden.

Colburn has been unable to compete yet this year because of a persistent achilles tendon injury. But Coach Bill McCurdy is hopeful the fleet sophomore is finally ready.

Last year, Colubrn set freshman indoor records in both the 1000 and the 600, tying the University mark in the 600 in 1:10.5.

In the British Nationals in July, he ran the fastest freshman half-mile in the country and shattered the university record with a swift 1:48.0.

If Colburn is ready tomorrow, he will race in the 880.

Colburn leads a scant Crimson delegation to the BAA meet. Joining him will be Jim Baker or Roy Shaw in the feature mile. Dave McKelvey in the 440, John Metzger in the high hurdles. Steve Schoonover in the pole vault, and Harvard's two-mile relay team.

Schoonover, Harvard's defending Indoor Hep champ, will face the likes of Bob Seagren. USC's world champion vaulter and Villanova's Vince Bizzaro, who beat Ceagren and Schoonover in the Knights of Columbus meet two weeks ago.

McKelvey will race a field including John Carlos, Pan Am Games winner in the 100 and 200 meter runs. Either Baker or Shaw will be up against Kent State's Sam Bair, the National AAU mile champion.