City Ad Draws Good Response

Applications for the post of Cambridge City Manager are beginning to flood into the city council.

By Monday night, Councillor Thomas H.D. Mahoney, head of the search for a new manager, had received 24 replies to advertisements seeking applicants with five years experience in City administration. The advertisements have appeared in the New York Times and Washington Post and will also be in the bi-weekly newsletter sent to all city managers.

Mahoney said that most of the applicants to date have been from the Northeast and Middle Atlantic states. One has come from Cambridge, and one from Boston. The council may also invite two former Cambridge residents--Frank R. Saia '58 and Edward McCann--to meet with them privately about the job.

$20,000

The new manager, who should be appointed by mid-April, will probably receive more than the manager's previous top salary of $20,000. A bill has been filed in the state legislature to lift the limit on the salary.

In other action Monday night, the council received a letter from Chief of Police John J. Grainger, telling them that he would improve police protection in the Harvard Square area.

Grainger promised to put "more uniformed officers, more detectives, more motor patrols" in the Square, but did not specify the exact increase. He will meet with the council next Monday to discuss police problems throughout the City.

Beating

The strengthening of the Harvard Square patrols came in response to the beating of two Harvard students in the early morning of January 14. The more seriously injured of the pair, Paul A. Vernaglia '70, was released from Massachusetts General Hospital last Saturday.