Two-Team Battle Looms In Ivy League Basketball

To no one's surprise Columbia and Princeton emerged from the first weekend of competition as strong co-favorites for the Ivy League basketball title. But someone named Dowling helped Yale upset another pre-season contender Cornell.

Columbia used its great height and depth to demolish Yale Friday 100-72 and then turned on cold-shooting Brown Saturday to post a 71-47 victory. Seven-foot center Dave Newmark began to perform like a super-star, tallying 40 points against the Bulldogs and then teaming with sophomore brilliant Jim McMillan for a combined 40 against Brown.

On Eastern television Saturday Princeton broke up Penn's slow down by shooting 80 per cent from the floor in the first half and went on to an easy 73-47 decision. Tiger captain Joe Heiser and 6-9 center Chris Thomford paced the win.

Cornell was unimpressive Friday in gaining a close 77-71 advantage over Brown. The next night the scoring of exciting guard Rick Stoner and forward Ed Gladstone and the inspiration of football quarterback Brian Dowling lifted Yale to an unexpected 69-64 victory over the Big Red.

Two Ivy teams, Harvard and Dartmouth, did not see League action. The Crimson opens its season here Friday against Penn. The high-flying Princeton team visits the IAB Saturday.