Students Found Moderate Group For Disillusioned

By Thomas P. Southwick

A group of students here has founded a new political organization designed to give moderate students a voice at Harvard. Called the Harvard Political Union, the new group is composed of people "disillusioned with organizations like HUC and disappointed with SDS."

"About half of our members are former members of SFAC, PBH, the Freshman Council, or other organizations," Frank D. Raines '71, one of the Union's founders, said yesterday. "What we hope to do is thoroughly research issues, present a position on them, and then try to implement our proposals through the most effective channels."

The Union is divided into two sections--Publications and Community Organization. The Publications division will print a monthly newsletter and prepare position papers on various issues. The Community Organization division will try to implement those positions. Issues the HPU is concerned with range from foreign policy to urban affairs and student organizations.

The first action of the new organization was to endorse the regular Coop slate for board of directors. Raines said, "The opposition (led by Wesley E. Profit '69) had two good points. But we feel that the election of the opposition would only harm those issues. We proposed endorsing the regular slate and then electing the student members democratically. The HPU vote was close on whether to remain neutral or to endorse the Coop slate."

Raines said that once the HPU has taken a stand on an issue they try to go about implementing their position in the best possible way. This might include lobbying for faculty support, testifying before the HUC or SFAC, or even demonstrations, he said.