Bunnies' Visit to Harvard Gets Little College Blood

Two of Hugh Hefner's finest, black bunny-ears flapping, greeted a handful of Harvard men Friday at Phillips Brooks House in a promotion for the Blood Drive.

Bunnies Goldie and Shandre from the Boston Playboy Club, dressed in their promotional outfits of black blouses and white minis, weren't impressed with the turnout of fewer than 10 students. John W. Curtis '70, for one, wasn't impressed with the bunnies. "It was embarrassing--they were skags," he said. "I signed up to give blood, but I would have done that anyway," he added.

The bunnies hadn't been to Harvard before. "It's pretty--the Yard, you know," Shandre said. "I think I'll go here." Their escort, a Hugh Hefner imitation down to his pipe, frowned when Goldie threatened to reveal her last name. "You're just like Goldie on Laugh In," he said.

Shandre said she had given blood once, but had passed out. "I don't have enough oxygen in my blood, so my blood wouldn't be much good," she said.

The few students who showed up tried to slink in and out the door, guarded on each side by a bunny. When one student managed to escape without being given a Blood Drive balloon, the escort said excitedly, "Give him a balloon, give him a balloon." The student kept going, saying he didn't want one. "He didn't want one," Goldie said, grinning. The escort frowned.

Phillips Brooks House--deciding to concentrate on non-University projects--served its connection with the Blood Drive last spring, which is now independently run. Jeffrey A. Nims '71, chairman of the drive, said the goal this year is 1000 pints, considerably higher than in previous years. He said the drive has been going well at Harvard. Tables will be set up in the dining halls Monday night, Nims added.

No Response at 'Cliffe

But the drive has run into trouble at Radcliffe. Nims said the only means of running the campaign at Radcliffe is through RUS, "and they seem to be too busy with grapes." He said that if efforts to work with RUS fail, he will try to find individual Cliffies who are interested.

The promotional effort yesterday ended early when the escort led his bunnies back through the Yard and home to the Bunny Mother. A Newsweek editor visiting Harvard stared at them a long time, but the rest of the people in the Yard hardly noticed.