Miller Sparks J. V. Eleven Victory Over Cornell; Jurado, Phinney Put Soccer Team Past Clark, 8-1

Tom Miller scored two touchdowns yesterday as the Harvard junior varsity football team swept to a 20-0 victory over Cornell's J.V. here.

Miller, the hard driving fullback who was the powerhouse of last year's freshman team, scored his first T.D. on the first drive of the game. It came on a two yard plunge. Sophomore quarterback John O'Grady, who started the game, engineered long drives all day.

Scott Guild, another sophomore who started at halfback, showed some fancy open field running as he broke away for an 80-yard touchdown run late in the second quarter. The third touchdown came late in the third quarter on a two yard plunge by Miller.

Cornell's only long drive of the day was in the first quarter. Mixing passes and runs, the Big Red drove to the Harvard 15 yard line, only to be stopped by a tough Crimson defense led by linebacker Gary Farneti and center guard Vic Piotrowski.

Frank Champi, the junior quarterback who started all of the other J.V. games, did not suit up yesterday, and Frank Smith, the other junior Q.B. suited but played only a few minutes. Speculation was that either or both could see considerable action today against Cornell's varsity.

Harvard's junior varsity soccer team produced a penetrating offensive attack to overcome a weak Clark squad 8-1 yesterday.

The only real excitement of the game was in the first quarter. Just 39 seconds after the opening whistle, Clark scored from inside the penalty area. But Harvard was soon back on top as junior Ben Phinney countered with two quick shots past the goalie.

For the rest of the game the Harvard defense saw little action.

Strong Offense

A well coordinated offense included wings John Runyan and John Metzger continually swept by the fullbacks and crossed the ball in front of the net. Center forward Frank Jurado dribbled around and about his opponents, scored twice and produced one assist.

Also tallying with one score each were Metzger, Vaugn, Wiley, and Wolff.

The Clark win puts the team's won-loss record at 2-1. The junior varsity split the season's first two games, losing to South-eastern Massachusetts Tech in a 3-1 decision--the team's first loss in three years--and defeating a weak Lowell Tech eleven 7-0.

The squad next faces M.I.T. before coming up against traditionally strong Brown, Princeton, and Yale.