President Pusey Praises Students In H.C. Address

Colleges and universities should "rejoice" when "young people today insist with new fervor on seeing their private goals in social terms," President Pusey said in a speech given at Holy Cross College Saturday.

Pusey delivered the convocation address at a celebration commemorating the 125th anniversary of Holy Cross College. After speaking, he received an honorary doctor of laws degree.

A New Renaissance

The speech emphasized the need for a new evaluation and approach to educational policies. Said Pusey, "It is possible that a new Renaissance is upon us and, if so, it may well call for a fresh and considerable shift" in education procedures.

"We are therefore called upon not to insist adamantly on old practices, but to stretch our understanding of liberal education so that it may encompass the new vital phenomena," he said.

'Show Concern'

Pusey praised the growing social awareness of young people but cautioned that there is a real need for young people "who, seeing injustice, poverty, hatred and all the rest, will not only show concern, but take the time and effort to get themselves informed so that they may move effectively against such evils."

Stressing the role of student activism on college campuses, Pusey stated, "In the earlier period, liberating power was discovered in ancient learning. Now it appears to be coming rather from contemporary activity."