'Lampoon' Will Contribute Fruits of 'Life' to Needy

By Anne DE Saint phalle

The Lampoon will give the expected $100,000-plus profit from its Life Magazine parody to charity, Lampoon president Thomas P. LaFarge '69 revealed last night.

"We felt guilty last year, but this year it would be insupportable to keep the money for ourselves," LaFarge said. The Lampoon spent most of the $100,000 profit from its Playboy Magazine parody last year on renovating the Castle.

Since the 'Poon is a non-profit corporation, any income it has must be spent within the year to avoid taxes, James A. Rivaldo, '69, General Manager of the parody, explained. "And since Lampoon members receive no payment for their efforts, that leaves us with a big hunk of dough to dispose of," he said.

Fight Strephosymbolia

"We considered contributing to political campaigns," LaFarge said, "but there was too much disagreement as to which campaigns to support. We wanted some neutral but worthy cause, preferably one that was relatively obscure and in need of help." Most of the gift will go to the Nationai Strephosymbolia Foundation.

Last year's renovations included the installation of a circular room lined with bookcases and carpeted in red, the engagement of a specialist in the repair of Delft tile, and the restoration of some of the Castle's leaded glass windows, Rivaldo said. "We also bought a lot of wine," he added.

Floating Elephant

Lampoon officers had originally planned to spend the money in a commemoration of the Battle of Hastings. They planned to have armies and elephants float across the Charles, but the Administration said that undergraduates were not allowed to rent elephants.

The revelation came after a gala afternoon publicity rally of which television cameramen made films to help promote the Life parody.