Some Juniors Will Be Cut From Gov 98

Short Funds Call For Teaching Staff Limits

By Carol R. Sternhell

A significant number of juniors concentrating in Government will not have junior tutorial this year because of a fund shortage, Samuel P. Huntington, chairman of the Government Department, said yesterday.

"We're under financial constraints this year," Huntington said, "and we're having to cut back on admitting juniors to tutorial."

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences, which appropriates funds for all departments of study each year, "doesn't have much money," Huntington said. "It was necessary for them to impose restrictions on the amount of money we could spend on tutors and teaching fellows," he added.

Enrollment Up

The poor financial situation is made worse, Huntington said, by the increased enrollment in Gov courses and by the increased number of concentrators. "The number of students taking Gov 1 has jumped from about 290 to about 490 in one year," he said.

The number of sophomores concentrating in Gov last year--who are juniors now and eligible for Gov 98--was up significantly from previous years, Huntington added. He estimated that there are now about 211 junior concentrators, an increase of at least 30 students from last year.

"The enrollment in middle group courses has also increased," Huntington said yesterday. "This, of course, means more sections, which cost money."

Huntington explains these increases in enrollment by pointing out that students are more concerned with politics these days. "I'm told that both concentration and course enrollments always go up in an election year," he said.

Despite the shortage of funds, teaching fellows' salaries have increased this year, making it even more difficult to increase the staff, Huntington added.

The students deprived of tutorial will be "the marginal characters," Huntington said. "We used to have a very liberal policy of admitting juniors to tutorial. Now it will be harder to take those in Group IV, for example."

About 160 of the 211 concentrators applied for Gov 98 last spring, Huntington said, adding, however, that since not all those eligible had applied the figure was indefinite.