After Week's Ivy Results Crimson Chances Better

Things are lookng up for Harvard's varsity football team. After gloomy predictions at the beginning of the season, the Ivy League results this week seem to hold out the promise of chance for a fine Harvard season. Besides the 59-0 rout of Bucknell by the Crimson eleven, these other scores have raised the hopes of coach John Yovicsin's squad:

* Holy Cross 29-Dartmouth 17. The Big Green looked sick in bowing to a strong Holy Cross squad still smarting from their defeat at the hands of Harvard last week. The Purple defense stole the ball six times to set up all their scores. Bob Blackman, Dartmouth's ever optimistic and villainous coach, didn't seem worried. "Football is a game of emotions and we just didn't seem to have our normal spirit today for some reason," he said. Dartmouth plays Princeton on Saturday and if the Tigers win, The Green spirit could be at an all time low when they play Harvard.

Five Records

* Princeton 44-Columbia 16. Marty Domes looked good again, but Columbia looked dismal again. The Lion's quarterback passed on almost every play, completing 28 of 53 passes for 373 yards and breaking five Ivy records. Other than that the game belonged to Princeton and a fullback named Ellis Moore. Moore carried 13 times for 238 yards, breaking the old Ivy record for a single game by 13 yards.

* Cornell 17-Rutgers 16. Cornell scored two touchdowns and a two point conversion in the fourth quarter to win this thriller and hand Rutgers its first loss in three games. Big Red quarterback Bill Robertson ran across the two points on a quarterback sneak late in the fourth quarter. Robertson and defensive back Bob Newton, who ran an intercepted pass 30 yards for a score, will be giving Harvard trouble when Cornell visits Soldiers Field on October 19.

* Yale 49-Colgate 14. It was Brian Dowling again. The Eli quarterback passed for two touchdowns and ran for another against hapless Colgate. The romp, which made Yale's game winning streak the longest in the nation, was achieved without the services of star halfback Calvin Hill. Hill will be back in action this, week, and with him and Dowling and the rest it looks as if the Blue winning streak could go on all season.

* Penn 17-Brown 13. In the battle of the second division Penn looked worse than usual. A successful quarterback sneak on fourth down by Quaker quarterback Bernie Zbrzeznj and a fourth-quarter field goal put the game out of reach of the Bear Bruins.