Booters Bid to Avoid Ivy's Second Division

Harvard's soccer team, eliminated from the Ivy League race last weekend by a 5-1 defeat at the hands of league-leading Brown, must beat Yale in its finale to avoid a second division finish for the first time since 1956.

The Crimson faces a week of rest and morale building after the losses to Brown and to Army, in Monday's NCAA regional match. The two defeats brought Harvard's record to 6-3-3 for the year. The Crimson has dropped three out of its last four contests, but has suffered from injuries to most of the starters and from a grueling schedule.

Injuries

Players who have been forced out of action during the past several games and who continue to operate subpar include high scoring Peter Bogovich, linemates Solomon Gomez, Jaime Vargas, Gerry Montero, Captain Scott Robertson, fullback Bob Gray, goalie Richie Locksley, and his substitute Jim Sawhill.

Despite these injuries, Harvard has played gamely in defeats. It held Brown to one goal until a disastrous fourth to one goal until a disastrous fourth period, and on Monday held off a bruising Army team only to succumb finally to exhaustion and the rain.

After the Brown contest, Coach Bruce Munro said that he "was really proud of our kids. Even when it got ridiculous in the fourth quarter because some of the starters were at half speed, they never gave up."

Around the league in other action, Yale blanked Princeton 3-0, assuring the Tigers of a last place finish. Yale, which has won its last three games after losing its first three, is the most improved team in the league and should be hard to beat.

Cornell

Cornell, which is tied for third place with Harvard and Yale, blasted Dartmount 4 1. Nick Alexandridis tallied three goals for the Big Red, upping his league totals to 8 goals and 11 points.

Penn, which can tie for the title if it wins and Brown loses on Saturday, edged Columbia 2-1. Overcoming an early Lions' goal, the Quakers sent the game into overtime and finally won on a goal scored with three minutes remaining.

This last weekend of Ivy soccer sees Yale at Harvard on Friday, Brown at Columbia, Cornell at Princeton, and Dartmouth at Penn in Saturday action.