Surrealists Renovate Yard Fence

Students from a Soc. Rel. 136 section yesterday transformed the dull, dark brown plywood wall concealing Harvard Hall into an bit of psychedelia.

The students from a section led by Richard B. Cluster '68 began painting the fence around noon and were joined by about 60 other students passing through the yard. At 1:15 p.m. a Harvard policeman, tried unsuccessfully to stop the students' art work. He refused to explain why the students could not paint the wall and asked for their bursar's cards.

"He took almost all our cards," said Mark R. Dyen '70, a member of SDS and Soc. Rel. 136, "but he didn't take mine. I guess he thought he had taken it some other time."

Robert Tonis, chief of the University Police, said he did not know how many cards were taken in all. He called it a routine matter which would be reported to Dean Watson or Dean Von Stade.

"Think of Harvard as a blank wall," Cluster said. "That's the way it is and that's the way many think it should be. We think there's another way to look at it. The university is here for people to act upon, to shape and to mold. This is our reaction to Harvard's attempt to stifle creativity."

One construction worker said he didn't think either the supervisor or any of the workers minded. "I think it's wonderful," he said, "and they're really protecting the fence by adding a few more layers of paint to the wood."

Painted on the fence facing President Pusey's office were political remarks addressed to Pusey, ROTC, and Judge Elija Adlow '15. "Welcome to the liberated zone," "Do it in the road," and "Up against the wall" greeted readers. A pastel yellow abstract covering at least five panels faced University Hall.