Union Committee to Consider Plan For Having Cliffies at All Lunches

The Freshman Union Committee plans a meeting after Christmas vacation to discuss the possibility of letting Cliffes eat lunch in the Union every day.

Following the invasion by 12 Cliffies who brought box lunches to the Union last week, the committee wants to speak with University officials, Douglas R. Jones '72, the committee's chairman, said yesterday.

Jones said the group might meet with Burris Young, assistant dean of Freshmen; Louis J. Tolleson Jr., manager of the Freshman Dining Hall, some members of the Overseers Committee who have freshman sons, and several Freshman Council members to discuss financial aspects of co-ed eating.

The groups will also consider the possibility of making better use of the Union's upstairs rooms. "Since there is a problem seating extra people in the Union, maybe we could turn those rooms into dining halls," Jones said.

"I would like to have Cliffies here every day," Tolleson replied, "but we don't have room for them. We have to feed 1200 men and we have only 760 places to seat them. I don't think it's fair for a girl with a box lunch to take up a seat that a boy paid for."

"If we could work out something with Radcliffe--some sort of a meal exchange--we would have no trouble financing the interhouse system, but we would still have to find seats for these girls," Tolleson said. Radcliffe does allow Harvard to eat interhouse lunch Monday through Friday.

Roberts said that if the interhouse move fails because of financial reasons or because of seating arrangements, he expects the dozen or so girls will continue to bring box lunches. "So long as Cliffies can't buy meals at the Union, not too many will eat here. There shouldn't--and hasn't--been any difficulty finding seats for them," he said.