Navy Tops Five, 70-58, On Late Game Scores

The Naval Academy basketball team took advantage of some Harvard errors late in the second half to blow open a tight game and stop the Crimson for the 11th consecutive time, 70-58 at Annapolis last night.

Six ft. three forward John Tolmie led the Middies with 33 points, 25 of them in the second half and a large chunk of the 25 in the game's closing seconds as Harvard's desperation press opened up layups for the Navy.

It was Harvard's first loss of the season after an opening win over Brandeis, but the contest was much closer than the score indicates. At the half, Navy had a two point lead, 30-28, and with seven minutes remaining it was still a two point game, 51-49.

Navy Builds Lead

Then Harvard lost the ball on errors three straight times, the Middies took advantage with Tolmie, Scott Semko and Bob Conrad leading the attack and within three minutes, Navy held an eight point margin.

Harvard coach Bob Harrison then tried a half-court zone press, but the Midshipmen kept their poise, piercing the zone for easy and game-clinching shots.

Eric Gustafson played his second straight outstanding game, leading all Harvard scorers with 17 points. Gustafson, the team's sixth man, hustled all over the court and, until the closing minutes, held Tolmie in check on defense.

Navy's pressuring man-to-man defense may have been the decisive factor. Harvard never was able to get its offense--especially the fast break--in gear and Dale Dover, the sophomore flash who tallied 27 against Brandeis, was held to 3. Ernie Hardy and Bobby Johnson were the only men besides Gustafson in double figures for the Crimson--with 10 apiece.