Freshman Teams Split in Saturday Action As Barry and Cavanagh Star in Hockey Win

Swimming

Captain Al Ackerman again won two events, but as did its varsity counterparts, the freshman swimming team lost to a powerful Army squad, 51-44, at West Point Saturday.

Ackerman coasted to wins in the 100-yard freestyle and the 200-yard free, recording times of 49.1 and 1:54.0. In the 400-yard freestyle relay, he swam the fastest 100 yards in Harvard history, but a premature start caused the Crimson to be disqualified, thus making the record unofficial. Despite Ackerman's strong anchor leg, Harvard would have lost that relay even if not disqualified.

The only Crimson sweep was in the three-meter diving, won by Dale Silver with Tom Wallace not far behind. This victory enabled the visitors to go ahead, but then the Cadets rallied to capture the meet in the final events.

Other winners for Harvard were Paul Horvitz in the 50-yard free, Dan Kobick in the 200-yard backstroke, and Andy Huff in the 500-yard free. Coach Benn Merritt said he was pleased with the team's performance.