Nayar, Terrell Carry Crimson Hopes As Squash Championship Opens Here

By Nicholas Gagarin

The United States National Singles Squash Championships begin at 9 a.m. this morning in Hemenway Gym--and if you want to play a long shot, put your money on a Harvard man.

Thirty-one of the best amateur racquetmen in the country will be competing in the tournament. But Harvard's eyes will focus on Anil Nayar and Larry Terrell, the only two American college players to qualify for the championship.

Nayar, the Indian ace who is the ranking Intercollegiate champion, will try to become the first Harvard undergraduate since Germain G. Glidden '36 to win the National crown. Nayar is fresh from a key victory in the Canadian nationals last weekend--where he defeated in succession Sam Howe, who holds the U.S. title, and Colin Adair, the top player in Canada.

"Anil's play in Montreal was his first great flash of glory." Harvard coach Jack Barnaby said yesterday. "He's not as experienced as most of the men he'll face in the Nationals, but with the Canadian victory, he has certainly established himself as a contender. He just might win."

In his opening match Nayar will meet Tom Jones at noon today. Between him and the tournament crown lie Peter Martin the Canadian college champion, Ralph Howe, who won the North American Open last year, Bob Hetherington, who was runner-up in the Nationals last year, and Sam Howe, to whom Hetherington lost. Sam Howe, Hetherington, and Ralph Howe--Sam's brother--are seeded first, second, and third in the tournament.

Larry Terell, Harvard's other entry, will face A. Eichmann at 11 a.m. today. If Terrell wins, he will come up against Hetherington in the afternoon.

The U.S. National Team championship will also be played in Boston this weekend. Since the two tournaments are played simultaneously. Harvard's five man team will be made up of Jose Gonzalez, Rick Sterne. Michel Scheinmann, Fritz Hobbs, and Fernando Gonzalez.

At 4 p.m. today the team will meet the winner of the Chicago-Montreal match on the University Club courts. Sunday the team action moves back to Hemenway Gym.

Barnaby sees only a "feeble hope" for his team--which must battle top teams from New York and Los Angeles without Nayar and Terrell. "A victory by Harvard would be a Homeric upset," Barnaby said.

Harvard's racquetmen warmed up for the weekend action with an informal match against the South African Jesters, who are also entered in the team championships. Harvard won the match 5-1.

As the South African team entered Hemenway, three Harvard pickets marched outside. But the South Africans shrugged off the incident with a smile.