Columbia's Powerhouse Five Rolls Over Harvard, 103-70

By Richard D. Paisner

Columbia's nationally-ranked basketball wrecking crew held on to a first place tie in the Ivy League by crushing Harvard's luckless five, 103-70, Saturday at the IAB.

It was a heartless and methodical act of destruction. The Lions gave Harvard just enough rope--a 12-8 lead midway through the first half--and then hung the Crimson with a patient but effective offense.

Columbia did not shoot from outside. Occasionally the 7-0 center with the long sideburns and the other-worldly air, Dave Newmark, threw up a bomb, but for the most part the tough Lions didn't gamble unless they had a layup.

With 13 minutes left in the half and Harvard holding the four point lead, Columbia rattled off ten straight points--eight on layups and the other two on a Newmark jumper. By the half it was 42-31, the last basket another 20 footer by Newmark.

Columbia put the game out of reach with a 16-5 explosion early in the final period. 6-4 guard Heyward Dotson contributed two field goals and four free throws, Bill Ames and Roger Walaszek a three-point play apiece, and Newmark another pop shot.

Harvard had trouble getting points, as usual, but the big problem was personnel. Man for man Columbia is bigger, faster, and better.

Captain Bobby Beller had another good shooting night, hitting four of eight from the floor for 13 points. Bob Kanuth also had 13 and Jeff Grate, who did a good job on Dotson before fouling out, had 10. Chris Gallagher had a disappointing night--four points and three rebounds.

For the Lions, 6-5 muscleman Jim McMillan led with 25. Dotson added 22 and Newmark 14. McMillan is a cat. Whenever his defensive man, either man-for-man or in the zone, turned his head, McMillan streaked underneath for the easy layup.