Ski Team Takes 3rd in Carnival

Harvard's ski team placed a surprising third behind Dartmouth and Middlebury in Dartmouth's 58th annual Winter Carnival in Hanover on Friday and Saturday.

In Friday's events, Harvard placed two men in the top ten finishers in the slalom. Bill Draper took fourth behind three Dartmouth skiers with a 1:31.4 time. Pete Carter was seventh with 1:33.8. The winnin time was 1:27.

Harvard's best finisher in Friday's cross country race was Steve Hinkle in 17th place.

On Saturday, Carter combined times of 65.1 and 64.1 to capture fourth place in the downhill. Michael Cook and Larry Carter placed 10th and 14th respectively.

In the jumping event, a traditionally weak one for Harvard, Jim Wolf soared 105 feet for an unlooked-for 10th place finish. Dartmouth swept the first four places in the event to no one's surprise.

"Dartmouth is unbeatable this year with its jumping power," said coach Dick Friedman, in his first year at Harvard. "But the team did a very creditable job considering we ski against the top six teams in the East."

Last year Harvard finished fifth in the Carnival, after Dartmouth, Middlebury, Williams, and Vermont.