KENNEDY'S STATEMENT

The following is a statement by Senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.):

The changes announced today are at best stop-gap measures. They should not in any way be construed as ending the debate over draft reform. Neither should they be construed as halting our efforts to make the changes recommended by the Marshall Commission and the President's message of last year.

Illustrative is the decision on occupational deferments. Occupational deferments have not in fact been ended; instead they are now subject to 4000 separate sets of rules determined by 4000 separate local boards.

Also illustrative is the graduate student deferment ruling. While graduate student deferments should never become the vehicle for an exemption from the draft, neither should we put into effect a system which calls for the immediate drafting of a partial group of graduate students.

This is again indicative of how badly we need the reforms which have been urged by the Marshall Commission, the President, distinguished academicians, our military leaders, and some members of Congress. Next week I intend to introduce a comprehensive revision of our draft laws.