Harvard Fire Linked To Excess Chemicals

Investigation of the January 2 fire in a Harvard Medical laboratory indicated that excessive though not illegal amounts of methanol were stored in the lab, state Fire Marshall Ralph L. Garrett announced Friday.

According to state law, Laboratories may store 156 gallons of Class A fluid in one place. Garrett said the Harvard laboratory had stored enough methanol "to pickle half the pygmies in Patagonia." Harvard did not go over the legal limits however.

Garrett said he is drawing up new recommendations for the use of Class A fluids like methanol, ether, ethyl alcohol, and acetone.

Recommended Articles

City May Revoke Spaghetti Club's Liquor License
The Spaghetti Club might find its licenses revoked if the Cambridge License Commission determines next week that bar employees escalated
Weekend Fest to Promote Black Artistry
Billed by organizers as "one of the most important [events] in Black Harvard's history," a weekend celebrating black artistry--and attempting
Spaghetti Club Under Review
At a hearing of the Cambridge License Commission last night, The Spaghetti Club publicly defended itself for the first time
Interim FOP Director Appointed
After the search for a new director of the Freshman Outdoor Program (FOP) failed to yield a sufficiently qualified candidate,
NEW CHEMICAL BUILDINGS
The Wolcott Gibbs Memorial Laboratory is now entirely finished except for the setting up of a part of the equipment
Medical School Explosion Injures Two, Destroys Lab, Causes $100,000 Damage
An explosion and fire ripped through a histology lab at Harvard Medical School Friday afternoon, injuring two technicians and causing