Unit of SDS Objects To Obstruction

SDS Votes Thursday On Dow's Reception

By Joel R. Kramer

A committee empowered to recommend to Students for a Democratic Socity how to handle Dow's visit appears to be leaning toward a non-obstructive demonstration.

Jonathan Harris '68, chairman of SDS's committee on the University and the War, said yesterday, "My feeling is that we should aim at a militant demonstration, but there is no point at all in clouding the issue with obstruction." Several other SDS people contacted yesterday agreed.

The committee of about 25 students will hold a meeting this afternoon and another one Wednesday. It will make a recommendation to an SDS meeting Thursday night, the eve of Dow's appearance at the Office of Graduate and Career Plans.

The night before last October's demonstration at Mallinckrodt, SDS voted against an obstructive sit-in, which occurred anyway.

Strong Show

"We have little interest in getting into a punishment hassle with the University," Harris said. "But I would hope to make a stronger show than just a picket line." He would not elaborate.

Dean Glimp said last week that the University would find unacceptable any demonstration which obstructed the movement of the Dow recruiter, or which "inhibited his movement." Glimp defined "inhibition" as putting the man in a situation where he would have to do something he does not want to do--such as step on a person or push a person--in order to move freely.

Petition

Harris' committee has been collecting signatures on an "anti-Dow" petition, which will be presented to President Pusey tomorrow, he said. The petition "is not aimed at getting the maximum number of signatures," Harris said, since it advocates withdrawal as the solution to the Vietnam war, when a "weaker statement" could have collected more names. Harris said he had about 200 signatures in his room, and he had no idea how many others were collected.