Business School Students Protest Notice of South African Job Offer

An offer for a summer job in Johannesburg, South Africa--which has been displayed on the placement office bulletin board at the Business School--has come under attack in a letter signed by forty-three third-year Business School students.

The letter--published in Wednesday's Harbus News--claims that the signers are "particularly interested in the policy of the placement office with regard to publicizing through their facilities discriminatory job offers."

Arthur Karunakaran, one of the signers and a spokesman for the group, said yesterday that the job under question is with the Anglo Cement Company in Johannesburg. Karunakaran said that he "understood that last year one Business School student took a job with the company."

The Business School placement office would not comment on the letter, but an official there said that a reply was forth-coming.

The letter also said that the signers were interested "to know if this job has any restrictions attached to it based on race or national origin." Karunakaran said yesterday that, according to South African law, such restrictions were mandatory.

Section "C"

The forty-three signatures all came from one of the seven sections of the Business School--section "C"--Karunakaran said. He said that no attempt had been made to obtain signatures from other sections.