Sextet Destroys Yale, 7-1, On First-Period Outburst

By Lee H. Simowitz, Special to the CRIMSON

NEW HAVEN, Conn., Feb. 24--The Harvard hockey team shattered Yale with five first-period goals and then coasted to a 7-1 win tonight at Ingalls Rink.

Seven Harvard players shared the scoring with a goal apiece, as the Crimson repeatedly broke up Eli plays and shackled the Bulldogs in their own end for minutes at a time.

Kent Parrot opened the Harvard scoring with a 15-footer at 3:11, and Bob Fredo made it 2-0 at 5:55 as Bobby Bauer sucked in the defense and then hit Fredo with a perfect feed.

Defensemen Chris Gurry and Ben Smith each tallied on identical plays, taking the puck at the blue line, skating in ten feet and firing slap shots past Yale goalie Steve Holahan. Gurry scored at 10:28, while Smith's goal came at 13:49.

Dwight Ware's pretty pass allowed Jack Turco to rack up Harvard's fifth goal at 17:25.

The Elis reorganized between the first and second periods and came out looking like a different team. But Harvard scored once again at 5:07 on a freak play when George McManama dumped the puck into the Yale end from well behind the blue line. Holahan reached down for the skittering puck, which took a cricket-hop over his glove and into the net.

Joel Bard put Yale on the scoreboard at 7:12 with a 15-footer, only to see Bob Carr and Ben Smith play catch at the blue line until Carr powered a slap shot into the goal at 19:44.

The persecuted Holahan, who had been averaging 38 saves per game behind an ethereal defense, had to stop 16 shots in each of the last two periods for a total of 40 saves.

Bill Diercks, who tended goal during the first two periods for the Crimson, recorded 13 saves, 11 in the second period. Senior Bob Higgins took over in the last period and spent most of his time contemplating Holahan's agony, as Yale took only four shots worth blocking.

Carr, Turco, Gurry, Parrot and Smith each had an assist to go with his goal. Single assists went to Ware, Bauer, Ron Mark, Pete Mueller, and Terry Flaman.

Harvard's record now stands at 14-7, 12-6 in the ECAC, and 8-1 in the Ivy League. Yale, waiting patiently for its undefeated freshman team to provide succour, is 6-16.