Hoopsters Down Tufts; Janczewski Scores 26

SPORTS '71

With forward Mike Janczewski dropping in 26 points, Harvard's freshman basketball squad scored an 80-65 victory over a highly rated Tufts team in Medford yesterday.

For the first few minutes of the game, Tufts tried to contain Harvard's high coring captain Dale Dover by playing a box and-one defense. Four men were employed in a zone, while the fifth was assigned to watch Dover.

"We fouled them up when I went down into the low post," the 6-2, 195-pound Dover said after the game. "When they collapsed on me inside. I passed the ball out to Mike [Janczewski], who was wide open."

Janczewski responded by playing what coach George Harrington '59 called "his best game of the season." Hitting mainly from the outside, the slender 6-6 star scored 13 points while reserves Jay Noble and Kerry Kane played a good floor games and let Harvard to a 39-36 half-time lead.

Tuffs had a 9-3 record going into the game, and was attempting to set a school record by winning a tenth. After half-time. Harvard had a rough time holding onto the lead as the hosts made determined come-back attempts.

With the Crimson leading by 67-62 and 4:44 left in the game, however, Dover sealed the Harvard victory by completing a three-point play on a strong, "hanging" drive right up the crowded middle.

Scoreless Minutes

Two scoreless minutes later, he was fouled with Harvard stalling the ball. He made the first but missed the second. Janczewski promptly grabbed the rebound and put it in for his 25th and 26th points. Dave Finholt's 25-point total in a December 12 game against Northeastern was the previous individual high for Harrington's squad.

The Yardlings improved their record to 9-4. After having won six of their first seven games, they droped into a post-holiday slump which culminated in a 100-83 defeat to Exeter ten days ago. Tufts beat Exeter by two points.

"We have felt the loss of Finholt," said Harrington. (A strong rebounder, Finholt transfered to St, Olaf College in Minnesota after the first semester.) Harrington was quite pleased with the rebounding of his charges yesterday, lauding particularly Janczewski, Kane, and 6-8 center George Yates.

Height Disadvantage

Finholt left with a 12.1 scoring average. His steadily improving replacement, 6-3 Mike Collins, has proven more than adequate despite his height disadvantages. Collins scored 10 points against Tufts to raise his average to an even 6.0.

As the Yardlings go into their final games of the 1967-68 season against Yale in the LAB Saturday and at Dartmouth a week from today, three players boast double-figure averages.

Dover, who ended up with 15 against Tufts, is top man with 223 points in the 13 games for a 17.2 average, followed by Janczewski (15.4) and guard Joe Stanislaw (13.2). Yates, greatly improved on the boards, has a 9.5 average.