Frosh Icemen Beaten; J.V.'s Tear Holy Cross

Freshman

Yardling icemen wasted a 4-1 lead in the last period to drop a frustrating 6-5 decision to the Boston College freshmen yesterday. It was the second loss in a row for the hapless Crimson.

Showing life only in the first period, the Crimson pressed the game on B.C. ice for most of the frame and built up a two goal advantage. Dan DeMichele tallied on a set up by Joe Cavanagh, and Joel Baumgartner scored near the end of play on a pass from Lincoln Holmes.

The flat Eaglets were unable to register as they were outshot 13-3 by the fired-up Yardlings.

But B.C. scored early in the second period past goalie captain Bruce Durno, and Harvard's offense came to a faltering halt. Repeatedly missing close-in shots and muffing passes, the Crimson managed two goals to keep up with B.C.

With the Eaglets two men down because of penalties. Dave Jones picked up a tap from Cavanagh and drove a hard shot into the right-hand corner of the B.C. net. Steve Owen also got an assist on the play.

Suffering from poor timing as a result of exam period inactivity, the Crimson and B.C. traded mistakes for much of the frame. Harvard managed another tally at the midway point on Terry Driscoll's slap shot. Retaliating when the Yardling's were shorthanded, B.C. scored past substitute goalie Ted Rumsey at 18:42.

In the sloppy third frame, Harvard combined poor defense with a non-existent attack to allow the Eaglets four straight goals.

Durno's return to the game failed to stop the B.C. onslaught. The Eaglets drove one past him, and then scored their final goal on an open Crimson net as the Yardlings played four forwards in a desperate comeback effort.

Down 6-4, Harvard's last register came with 36 seconds remaining as DeMichele tipped in his second goal of the game on a pass from Driscoll.