SDS Formulates Protest Strategy For Dow's Visit

By Michael J. Barrett

Girding itself for the return of Dow recruiters to campus on February 23, Students for a Democratic Society passed a proposal last night which emphasized alleged University involvement in the war, rather than Dow's production of napalm.

The proposal stated that "The actual tactics adopted against Dow should be decided on by the membership on the basis of an assessment of our strength at that time." But a long procession of speakers seemed to agree that the Dow recruiter should not be physically obstructed, as he was last October.

Preliminary plans instead called for a teach-in on University complicity on February 22, and a protest rally in front of Massachusetts Hall, where President Pusey has his office, during the Dow interview.

Tactics Not Final

While SDS did not finalize its intentions for the day of the Dow visit, they did specifically endorse several tactics for a publicity campaign to be run between now and February 23.

These included the circulation of a petition--calling for "immediate withdrawal" of American forces in Vietnam--throughout Harvard and Radcliffe, and cooperation with "radicals on the Student-Faculty Committee," in anticipation of Pusey's address to the SFAC on February 20.

Pusey's description of radicals in his Annual Report as "Walter Mittys of the left" irked many at the meeting. An overwhelming majority voted to demand again that "Pusey & Co." debate SDS, and Jonathan M. Harris '68 termed the return of Dow "a direct challenge" from Pusey and the Administration.

In contrast, John B. Fox, director of the Office of Graduate and Career Plans, said, that Dow "confirmed by letter last year on April 4" that it would visit Harvard on February 23.

Fox also claimed that, of the names on the sign-up sheet for Dow interviews, "some of them look suspicious." But SDS officials denied that they made any official attempt to pad the list with anti-war people.