Kanuth Is Hoop 'MVP'; Grate--'Top Foul Shot'

Bob Kanuth, Harvard's workhorse basketball forward, captured this season's "Most Valuable Player" award at the team banquet last Sunday. Center Paul Waickowski was chosen as the "Most Improved Player," and guard Jeff Grate snared the "Top Foul Shooter" crown.

"Bob has turned in the most consistent and steady performances of anyone on the team this year," said Coach Floyd Wilson. The 6-4 Kanuth carried the second highest Crimson scoring average this year, sinking 10.9 points a game as a regular starter.

"A strong defensive player," Kanuth was often pitted against the toughest man on the opposing team, like Cornell's monster, Ivy League rebounding leader Walt Esdaile, and Princeton's big center, Chris Thomforde.

At 6-9, Waickowski is the tallest man on the Crimson squad. "Paul has come a long way as a basketball player," Wilson said, "and is moving and rebounding better than ever before."

Waickowski's rebounding total has shot up 48 over last year, and he holds the high total for this year with 21 rebounds against Williams.

Waickowski played outstanding basketball in the final Penn game. Coming off the bench late in the contest, he tipped in two key baskets to break the Quakers.

Senior Grate, called the "best shot from the floor on the team" by Wilson, hit 33 of 38 free throws for the top team percentage of .869.