B.U. Students Start Fund Drive To Replace Lost $500 Million Grant

Boston University students--whose protesting resulted in the withdrawal on Tuesday of a $500 million gift to the B.U. School of Nursing--have expressed their intention of helping the university replace the funds.

The donor, Boston real estate dealer Maurice Gordon, withdrew the gift several hours before a building was to be dedicated in his name.

The withdrawal of funds culminated a two month protest against Gordon by the B.U. News, Students for a Democratic Society, and other groups. They claim that Gordon maintains substandard housing in South Boston and Roxbury and has been recalcitrant in correcting housing complaints to the Massachusetts Commission on Discrimination.

The students asked that the money be used instead to rehabilitate the buildings in ghetto areas. According to Joseph Pilati, editor of the News, the protest also intended to demonstrate to the administration that it should assess the sources.

Gordon's action apparently came as a surprise to both the University and the protestors.

At the dedication Tuesday, B. U. President Arland F. Christ-Janer stated that the funds were withdrawn by Gordon "in view of the harassment he has experienced and because of potential violence had he attended the dedication."

"It should be a matter of further note that I publicly acknowledge with embarrassment and apology that the action of Mr. Gordon is understandable," Christ-Janer added.

Mr. Gordon declined to comment on the reason for rescinding the funds. Asked whether the gift still might be given to B.U. he said, "I think there is a chance."

The student groups who objected to Gordon's grant have discussed with university officials the possibility of aiding in a drive to find alternative funds to complete the renovation of the building on Commonwealth Avenue.

"It's partially up to them whether they want our help," said Michael Schreiber, chairman of SDS at B.U., "SDS will probably try some form of fund-raising."

Pilati said yesterday that it is "probably unrealistic to think we can raise half a million dollars."

In response to the students' offer of aid, James H. Baker, vice-president for public affairs, said, "any effort on the part of the students would be most welcome."

A similar incident occurred at Brandeis University about a year ago. Students there protested a gift to Brandeis by the Raab family owner of the Stop and Shop supermarket chain. They alleged that the Raab Foundation received funds from the CIA and that Stop and Shop charged higher prices inghetto areas. The Raab family did not withdraw its gift.