Harvard Skier Captures Eighth Place In Canadian Invitational Giant Slalom

Peter Carter, a member of Harvard's varsity ski team, captured eighth place in the Quebec Kandahar giant slalom at Mont Termblant this past weekend.

Carter and Willy Draper were members of a ten-man American delegation chosen by the USEASA (United States Eastern Amateur Ski Association) to compete in the predominantly Canadian event.

Due to a mixup in seeding, Carter and Draper were handicapped by starting last among the 77 racers in both the giant slalom and the slalom.

Carter flashed down the 1800 foot giant slalom course in 1:30.87 seconds to finish eighth. Peter Duncan, a member of the Canadian Olympic team, won the event.

The times of the leading finishers were so close that placing could not be determined until after the electric timing results were tabulated.

Due to an icy course and foggy conditions, less than half of the competitors in the slalom successfully completed two runs.

Carter lost a ski and did not finish. On his first run, Draper blasted through the gates in excellent time and jumped into 10th place. However, on his final run, Draper lost his balance and fell out of the race.

Paul Reed of the United States Olympic team captured the slalom title when Duncan, the early leader, stumbled on his second run.