Bishop Pike Asks Students Consider Resisting Draft

Bishop James A. Pike went on a 45 minute conversational romp through world events as he joked and lectured his way around his topic, "Death After Life," at last night's Law School Forum.

Starting on a serious note with what he admitted to be his major concern today--the draft--Pike reiterated his advice to students to oppose the draft if their consciences so dictated.. He asked to be included in the conspiracy indictment with Dr. Benjamin Spock and William Sloane Coffin.

He defied the government to try to indict everyone who protested the war. "Are they chicken? Let them come and get me."

Not dwelling on any one subject too long, he also commented on his heresy trial, the gold crisis, and his controversial religion.

Tying the present money problems in with the Vietnam war, he said, "The gold crisis could end the war in a different way. I don't care how it ends, as long as it ends."

Pike also called for a reconvening of the Nuremberg trials to punish U.S. war crimes in Vietnam. Claiming that he wasn't a pacifist, he did not condemn Viet Cong terrorism. "Freedom fighters have to be rough," he said.