Hundreds Cheer Dunster's Bridge

More than a hundred Dunster students and assorted drama wonks broke parietals in the Dunster dining hall Saturday night--with the Master looking on--to view the unveiling of a giant light bridge for Drama Society shows.

The almost surrealistic ceremonies included nine speakers, champagne, and the crowning of a Miss Dunster Light Pipe. Sally Gates, a Drama Society participant, christened the light bridge in a ritual worthy of Bert Parks and the Miss America Pageant.

It took Dunster several months to convince recalcitrant Administrators that the $600, 30-foot bridge--which extends across the width of the hall's high ceiling--was necessary. This was the reason for the huge celebration when the bridge was finally installed.

Alan P. Symonds '69, founder of the Bwana Bus and Light Company which does technical work for over half of Harvard's productions, received raucus acclaim for his efforts to obtain the lighting equipment. Robert V. Edgar '69, in his welcome speech, immortalized Symonds with the following lines: "Dunster lay in universal night; God said 'Let Symonds be' and there was light."

David C. Ray '68 thanked President Pusey for constructing "a bureaucracy which enabled students to play one side against the other to obtain, what they want."