St. Peter's Upsets Duke; Houston and UCLA Win

Top Teams Clash

Houston and U.C.L.A. rolled over their opponents in NCAA competition last Saturday and will meet each other in the semi-finals in Los Angeles Friday night.

The top-ranked and undefeated Houston Cougars smashed Texas Christian 103-68 to capture the NCAA midwest regional title. The Bruins were equally impressive crushing Santa Clara 87-66 in routine fashion to win the western regional title.

The Bruins are number two in the nation and lost only one game during regular season play. That one game was to Houston.

In other action in the NCAA, fourth-ranked North Carolina downed Davidson 70-66 in the east regionals. Surprising Ohio State upset Kentucky 82-81 in the mideast regional to win the right to play North Carolina in the other semi-finals contest Friday.

Semi-final winners play Saturday night for the NCAA crown, which defending champion U.C.L.A. has won three of the last four years.

Houston coach Guy Lewis is anxious to meet the U.C.L.A. Bruins, even though the Bruins will be playing on home ground.

Duke Crushed

Much to everyone's surprise, particularly Duke fans, underrated St. Peter's of New Jersey upset a powerful Duke squad by a fat 29-point margin in the quarter-finals of the National Invitational Basketball Tournament last night.

The final score was St. Peter's 100, Duke 71.

In another NIT quarter-final game, favored Kansas tripped Villanova 55-49.

The quarter-finals continue today. Dayton is scheduled to meet Fordham, and Long Island University faces Notre Dame.

Winners of the quarter-finals advance to the semi-finals to be played Thursday night. The finals are Saturday afternoon.