Yale Div. Urges Entering Students To Reject IV-D

By Sophie A. Krasik

The Yale Divinity School will officially urge its entering class next fall to reject their IV-D draft exemptions.

But "there has been no discussion at all" on the issue at the Harvard Divinity School, Samuel H. Miller, dean of the Divinity School, said yesterday.

A statement in the Yale Divinity School catalogue, to be issued April 15, encourages "students who seek academic deferments to apply for the standard student classification (II-S)."

The Yale Divinity faculty unanimously decided this policy last spring, before the elimination of general graduate deferments. But "the faculty would do the same thing now," Gaylord Noyce, dean of students at the Yale Divinity School, said yesterday; and Robert Johnson, dean of the School, said last week that the faculty would not reconsider.

Moral Integrity

The IV-D is "a privilege which separates the student from his contemporaries and invites questions about the integrity of professional education for the Christian ministry," charged a Yale Divinity School statement quoted by the Yale Daily News.

A II-S reclassification for these students might mean the draft. But a New Haven draft board clerk said that the Selective Service regulation ordering classification in the lowest possible priority (highest number) would probably lead to a IV-D classification despite the students' requests.

Johnson added that he hoped the Selective Service would not draft II-S Divinity students.