Golfers To Escape Cold; Leave for Spring Training On Florida's Sunny Links

Athletic teams, as a rule, have rough schedules. Harvard's golfers begin theirs with a two-week jaunt to Florida and the sunny south.

The team is leaving March 21 to get in five days of practice before the opening of the University of Miami Invitational Tournament, which runs March 27-30.

With good weather all year round, southern schools can practice all year and are traditionally super-powers in the world of golf. The bleak New England winter drove the Crimson clubmen into Dillon Field House, where they could practice shots.

But the Field House is no match for Palm Beach ,and Captain Bob Keefe said, "I'd be happy if we're one of the top ten teams in the Invitationals."

Florida Matches

After the Invitationals the team begins its intercollegiate schedule with matches against the University of Miami, Florida, and Florida State. Florida was second in the nation last year.

The golfers will fly to South Carolina on April 2 for four days of practice before a match with Navy on April 6.

Fourteen matches--including the Greater Boston Tournament, the Easterns, and the New England Championships--have been scheduled for play in the chilly North.

Keefe and junior Bruce LoPucki are the first men on the team, backed up by juniors Tom Wynne and Paul Oldfield.

Recommended Articles

Blockbuster Season
Every year in mid-October something indescribible occurs that seems to captivate the population of the United States for about a
Women's Tennis Splits Two Matches During Florida Trip
The month of March is traditionally a time of transition in amateur and professional sports. Harvard  5 Florida int'l  4 Harvard  2 Miami  7
Battle of Florida Has National Implications
For four straight years, Florida State has been one of the nation's top teams. However, the Seminoles haven't been the
Huskers Unite!
It will be ours. Oh yes, it will be ours. I am not ashamed to say that I am a
Overseer Candidate's Homes Blow in Wind
As a candidate for one of the boards that governs Harvard, Leonard Miller '55 is packaging himself as a housing
Golfers Whip Brown, 6-1, Will Host Cornell Today
The Harvard golf team, playing its best match of the year, defeated a talented Brown team, 6-1, at Providence yesterday.