Winthrop Teams Dominate House Winter Leagues

With the close of the House basket-ball, hockey, swimming, and squash seasons, a second round of winter sports gets under way this week and next in the IAB.

Faced by hot-shooting sophomore A1 Hall, who poured in 19 points, Quincy overpowered second-place Winthrop, 59-48, Monday night to clinch the undisputed A League championship. The Winthrop B team made up for the A loss by trouncing Eliot yesterday for the tittle.

Undefeated in regular play, the Eliot hockey team takes on second-place Lowell in a crucial play-off game tonight at 7:45 p.m. at Watson Rink. The round robin competition continues until March 14.

Winthrop continued its overall domination of winter sports by capturing the swimming championship over Leverett and Lowell last Tuesday. In A League squash Winthrop also tied Dunster and Kirkland for a share of the crown. Matches in the B division are still going on.

Finalist in the intramural boxing tournament will slug it out today at 4 p.m. in the IAB. Next Monday are the House fencing and wrestling tourneys, while the volleyball competition gets underway on Tuesday.