B.U. Tops Crimson 5-1; First Defeat for Peters

Boston University ruined the Harvard baseball team's home opener yesterday and handed pitcher Ray Peters his first loss of the season, 5-1.

The Terriers opened the scoring with a run in the first inning on a double play. With the bases loaded and one out B.U. first baseman Howard Nield hit a routine infield grounder to Peters. Peters made the play at home, but the return throw to first was high and the run scored from second. The throw from right field then caught the second base-runner trying to score.

The Crimson scratched out its only run in the third inning. Second baseman Dick Manchester doubled to center and John Ignacio sent him home with a single to shallow left field.

Bruce Taylor, who made life miserable for Harvard pitchers most of the afternoon, drove in two more runs for B.U. in the bottom half of the inning with a triple to left.

Peters got in trouble in the fourth as B.U. added another pair of runs, and the big junior was relieved by Bob Dorwart. Dorwart looked convincing as he tamed the Terrier batters on two hits in four innings.

Evil Portents

The loss was significant for two reasons. It demonstrated that Peters, the pride of last year's pitching staff, has not fully recovered from a bout of mononucleosis. And it pointed out the defensive weaknesses that may haunt coach Norm Shepard all season. Harvard's batsmen will have to hit better than they did yesterday to win back the runs they give away on the field.

Carter Lord had a creditable afternoon, reaching base twice and throwing out a runner at the plate with a monstrous peg from centerfield. The team's record now stands at five wins and three losses.