University Will Not Move On Afro's Four Requests

By Joel R. Kramer

University officials are not going to act now on any of the four requests Afro put forward Tuesday.

Afro had asked for an endowed chair for a black professor, more courses relevant to blacks, more lower level black Faculty members, and admissions of blacks in proportion to their percentage of the population as a whole.

President Pusey said yesterday that he had no comment on the dissatisfaction black students have expressed with Harvard this week, "except that I regret it and feel sad about it."

Dean Ford said the Faculty "is certainly not going to get into anything with ethnic quotas." He said "you don't do anyone a favor" by hiring a man because of his race.

Of the demand for more courses relevant to blacks, Ford said, "there are an awful lot more courses around here that are highly relevant to blacks than they might suggest."

Dean Glimp said Harvard's present admissions policy is "aggressive" in its attempt to find qualified Negroes.

No Emergency

None of the three officials seemed to think white-black relations at Harvard have reached the proportions of an emergency crisis. Glimp, who spoke with three Afro leaders on Tuesday, said the "fellows expressed grief, strain, and anger, all of which are understandable."

Although Ford said the Faculty would never accept the idea of "assured positions without competitive review," he added that a black scholar whose field was, for example, the Negro in America, "would have things going for him that a white scholar would not" in the competition for a Faculty post. Ford said he regretted that more black scholars do not go into such fields.